Approaches to Deploying an Enterprise Email Signature Program
Critical to the success of any email signature program is the deployment process, or in other words, getting the signatures installed into user’s email programs and keeping them up to date. Deployment is not a “one size fits all” proposition. Five questions should be asked before deciding on the most appropriate deployment approach:
- How many mailboxes there are in the company?
- Will the signature content change frequently or will it be kept fairly static?
- Will company employees be cooperative in adopting a standardized email signature?
- Are IT resources available to assist in the initial deployment?
- What email programs (Outlook, Office 365, Gmail, iPhone, etc.) are in use?
Here’s what the answers tell us:
- How many mailboxes there are in the company? The more mailboxes, the more valuable an automated installation approach becomes. While the manual installation of an email signature is easy, effective, and has been done by the vast majority of our customers over the years (including the largest with 20,000+ users), each manual installation is likely to take from 1 to 5 minutes. A little bit of time used by a few people is rather inconsequential, while a little bit of time used by a lot of people may be detrimental.
- Will the signature content change frequently or will it be kept fairly static? Static information means that a one-time installation is all that will be necessary, which leaves the manual installation process quite viable. Dynamic content will require regular updates (reinstalls) of the signatures, making automated synchronization processes much more valuable.
- Will company employees be cooperative in adopting a standardized email signature? Manual installation processes are quite simple when employees cooperate. If employee willingness to cooperate is of concern, then automated processes are increasingly beneficial.
- Are IT resources available to assist in the initial deployment? Three of the automated processes we offer - pushed deployment of our desktop signature management software, our Exchange Server software and our server agent for Office 365 - require IT resources to configure - they are not options without IT support on your end.
- What email programs (Outlook, Office 365, Gmail, iPhone, etc.) are in use? We currently offer automated process for in-house Exchange, Outlook and Office 365. All other email programs require a manual install of the email signature. (Note: A combination of automated processes and manual installs can be a viable solution.)
Following are links to details on our six approaches to deployment.
OUTLOOK & ALL OTHER EMAIL PROGRAMS (manual - our most popular approach)
Manual Deployment - For All Email Programs: We provide detailed installation instructions for virtually all email programs in common use. Our proven manual deployment process has been used with great success across companies with hundreds and thousands of users time-and-time-again.
OUTLOOK / OFFICE 365 (automated via user installed software)
Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365: We provide a workstation-based software application that runs in the background to install and update each user’s email signature. Coupled with our cloud-based email signature management portal, this provides a super-simple and efficient method of deploying and maintaining a standardized signature program, even in the face of complex requirements.
OUTLOOK / OFFICE 365 (pushed / automated)
Pushed Deployment to Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Office 365: The Administrative version of workstation-based software application (that runs in the background to install and update each user’s email signature) is designed for push deployment via tools like Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (MS SCCM) or third party tools, such as ZenWorks or Symantec Endpoint Management Portal.
Exchange Server: Our Exchange Server “Transport Agent” provides a limited set of essential features to create a robust email signature deployment solution. Synchronizing with our signature management portal in the cloud, the result is a hands-off email signature program that meets the most demanding needs of marketing personnel.
OFFICE 365 ONLY (SERVER DEPLOYMENT)
Server Agent: Our “Server Agent” software installs and updates each user’s email signature in Office 365, providing a super-simple and efficient method of deploying and maintaining a standardized signature program to Office 365, even in the face of complex requirements. Synchronizing with our signature management portal in the cloud, the result is a hands-off email signature program that meets the most demanding needs of marketing personnel.
CUSTOM (HOME-GROWN) DEPLOYMENT
Custom Deployment via Signature File Download Process: In some cases the creation of a customized internal deployment process makes the most sense. We make the signature management portion of this very easy, and then help you by delivering the signatures to you in a super-efficient and ready-to-use manner.